How to File a Protection from Abuse Order in Alabama

Most people choose to go through life staying out of harm’s way, finding the person they love and providing for their family. However, there are times when harm comes to you by means of your significant other. In these unfortunate circumstances, you have the right to protect yourself from harm by filing a Protection from Abuse Order (PFA). Like many people, you may not know how to go about this process, and though you may feel alone, you do not have to go through this process alone. If you or a loved one is seeking information in this area, it is in your best interest to contact a family law attorney to help strategize about the best possible outcomes for your situation.

What is a PFA, and how can I file one?

In Alabama, a Protection from Abuse Order is a civil order that protects a victim from abuse by a current or former spouse or partner. Though a PFA Order is civil in nature, it allows for a victim to call the police if an abuser violates the order, in which case the abuser would be arrested, charged, and possibly convicted for violating that order.

If you have been threatened, harassed, or physically abused by a spouse or partner, both current or former, then you may be able to receive a PFA Order for yourself as well as for any minor children or another close family member that resides in your household. You can access and complete the Alabama Protection from Abuse Order form and file the documentation with the court clerk. After filing this order with the clerk, you may go before a judge for an ex parte hearing to receive this protection order. Though this process may seem straightforward, it is in your best interest to seek legal advice and representation because these types of protection orders can have significant long-term legal consequences, especially when divorce and/or child custody arrangements are involved – even much later.

Need legal advice?

Filing protection from abuse order can save your life as well as your loved one’s life. Since being granted a PFA Order against a former or current spouse or partner can be complicated for you and your loved ones, seeking adequate legal advice and representation is invaluable. Contact MSN’s family lawyers for legal assistance and next steps.


© 2023 Massey, Stotser & Nichols, PC   |   All Rights Reserved   |   Site Map

No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.