Representation of Churches

Massey, Stotser & Nichols, PC headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama and serving Southeastern Alabama is a full service law firm with a practice group in the area of church representations or nonprofit, tax-exempt organizations.

Churches and church activities entities can be public charities, religious organizations, private foundations, social welfare organizations, child care facilities, food banks, hospitals, schools at all levels including colleges and universities, and trade associations.

photo of a church steeple against a blue skyline

Nonprofit tax exempt organizations

Business are formed for profit or nonprofit purposes. Churches generally operate as nonprofit entities. The monies the religious organization raises are not distributed to shareholders but instead are used to fund programs and outreach activities consistent with the tenets of the faith involved.

The formation and dissolution of a nonprofit organization is just like the formation of a for profit business. The religious organization must complete the following steps:

Once these items are complete, the organization petitions the Internal Revenue Service to grant it tax exempt status.

Difference Between Nonprofit and Tax-Exempt Status

Nonprofit status is determined at the state level and governed by the law in Alabama. When an organization is granted nonprofit status in Alabama it is eligible for benefits like state sales, property and income tax exemptions. Tax-exempt status is a separate benefit and applies to the organization’s federal income tax, often referred to as 501(c) status. When granted by the federal government the organization is exempt from federal income tax.

Legal Representations of Churches Services

Religious organizations offer many services to their communities. Some of the activities are directly related to the church and operation of the church, while others involve the community outreach. Because of the diverse and varied nature of church activities law firms that represent churches assist churches with the following transactions:

Representation Of Churches Lawyers In Alabama

To learn more about how we can help your church, contact the law offices of Massey, Stotser & Nichols, PC to set up a consultation. Massey, Stotser & Nichols, PC is a full service, Birmingham, Alabama law firm that serves clients throughout Jefferson, Blount, Shelby, St. Clair, and Tuscaloosa counties. Visit our website at for more information about our business law, family law, and accident and injury law practice groups.

Do You Need Help With

Representation of Churches